Monday, January 3, 2011

January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!!!I hope that this year is great for you all. Im glad to hear thateverything is going well at home, minus a few sick people. Im glad tohear that Dad tried a fried twinkie. I still haven´t tried one. Theyactually sound pretty nasty to me. I also like Dad`s opinion ofthem... A waste of calories... Talking about calories... They eat aton here. I thought I ate a lot at home when I was growing up, but Iwasn´t... The people here in PerĂº eat so much food! Its actuallypretty crazy. Im also glad to hear that you bought Settlers of Catan. I plan on beating you all at it when I get home!I am also glad to hear that Dad is going to be coaching the youngmen`s basketball team. I am confident that it will be fun and thatthe Seneca Ward (Thats the name of our ward, right?) will be a greatexample of Sportsmanship. Here in PerĂ¹ not much has happened in the last few weeks. Christmasand New Year`s are really hard because they are celebrated at midnighton the 24-25 and New Year`s is a much bigger deal here. On the 24thwe actually had permission to be with members until 12:30 the 25thbecause of the differences in the holidays here. We also had aninteresting experience for New Years. Once it hits 12:00 its crazy.This is because everyone all types of fireworks are legal... In allareas... Which means that there were large fireworks going off in themiddle of our crowded living sector. It was loud, crazy, and Im gonnahave to say awesome! And I was also slightly scared. The fire crewsare kept really busy that night. I am actually really glad that wehave laws about fireworks where we live. It makes the holidays awhole lot safer. Not much has happened this week in the work. We haven`t had a lot oflessons or anything. I´ll talk more about that next week. This weekI would like to focus on the New Years. I am certain that you arethinking about goals this week, and these are really important! Iwould like to also talk about what I was thinking a lot about on the31st. I was thinking a lot about what I am grateful for this pastyear. So I have a list. First off, I am extremely grateful for my Lord and Savior, JesusChrist, who suffered for me personally and loves me more than I canpossibly know. He is my example, He is my redeemer and through Hisgrace I can return and live with my Father in Heaven again. I am also incredibly grateful for my Heavenly Father and the talentsand blessings He has given me. For His sacrifice in giving up HisOnly Begotten Son for the sins of the world. (John 3:16-17) I havelearned a whole lot more about His sacrifice in my time here in themission. I have tried to imagine what he went through, and it isimpossible. I would have a hard time giving up any one of my siblingsfor the people in the world I don`t know. I think it would be easierto give up myself. And I think that is the grand difference that madeit possible. God does know every single person in the world. Heloves each and every one of us, regardless of our sins and problems.And His perfect view of eternity is greater than our small view ofthis life. I am incredibly grateful for my immediate family. To begin with myloving parents who have set the grand example for me and havesupported me in my life, regardless of the mistakes I have made, andthe problems I have had. You have supported me in my mission, in myschool, and helped me every step of the way. I am grateful for eachof my siblings. Megan, Trevor, Alex, Adam, and Trent. Each of youhas taught me something in my life. I have learned from Megan`s loveof people and desire to help others. Trevor´s incredible love ofmusic and the scriptures. Alex`s trust in people and his inability tostay angry at people and his forgiveness. Adam`s desire to learn inmusic, church, school, sports. And Trent`s extremely contagioushappiness and his smile. Each of you has had an incredible effect onme. My extended family who have been examples and supports for me.Examples in the church and friends when I have needed them.Especially my family who sacrificed for me when my immediate familylived to far away. Which is everyone who lived close enough to do it.Examples are my uncles and aunts who invited me to eat with them andstay with them a night if I needed to. The multiple invitations fromfamily members I received for help in getting to the MTC from theAirport and my family that was helping me at Utah State this pastyear. My friends who have been a support for me, and from whom I havelearned tons of things in my life. My friends from High School whodealt with me when I was really weird, and my friends in college whodid the same when I was a little less weird, but still weird. Myfriends in my wards in Syracuse and in Logan, and each little effectthey had on me. And finally my leaders in the church, who I would consider my friends.My Bishops and Young Mens leaders in Syracuse who lead me in theright direction so I could serve a mission and always taught me inevery opportunity and my leaders in Logan who helped me finalize thepreparation, and in Maryland my leaders who befriended me rapidly eventhough I was only there for a few months. All of these people have had an incredible effect in my life, and areincredible examples for me. There are probably more that I didn`tmention and I would like to thank them too. The way I look at it is Iwould like to thank any person who has had a positive effect in mylife. Thank You All. I have learned to love the song "Each Life that Touches Ours For Good"in the hymnbook.We are all touched everyday in a good way by someone we know orsomeone we have just met. I love you all, and hope that the year 2011 will go well. Elder Tyler Wyatt Rasmussen

No comments:

Post a Comment